Thursday, January 6, 2011

Facebook and Breastfeeding

This blog has always taken a sunny approach to looking at living a healthier and more earth friendly lifestyle, but sometimes life isn't always so sunny. Sometimes there are those who oppose basic freedoms that we as Mommies should have. I am talking of course about those who oppose Breastfeeding. I know I haven't written a ton on breastfeeding because I have tried to touch on a broad range of green mommy topics but recently my heart was touched when again Facebook has waged war against breastfeeding mothers by deleting certain pages and the accounts of many of the members of those pages. The main group deleted recently was “The Leaky B@@b”, a great group that has helped many mothers. Facebook claims it was a mistake but they deleted it not once but twice and also deleted any support groups associated with bringing it back as well as many of the main members.
Why do I care so much? I breastfed my son from the first time I held him until he was 9.5 months old. It was the most amazing most beautiful most indescribable thing I have ever experienced. To be able to feed your child with nothing but your own body is the most wonderful ability a person can possess. I just can not tell you how amazing it was. To hold him close and just know that that connection is the strongest thing you can ever feel. My son was a very big baby. He was almost 10 lbs at birth and I exclusively breastfed the first 9 months of his life. He is a healthier, more well rounded and confident baby now and I know breastfeeding had a lot to do with that. I can't wait to breastfeed my second child. Breastfeeding is something that needs more legislation to protect it. You can help the fight by writing facebook and letting them know it is not ok to have pictures of playboy girls all over FB but delete groups even supporting breastfeeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Followers